Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#68 - Executive Search 101

I started my career (or lack thereof) in executive search about 5 years ago. When I joined the first company, I have been educated that executive search is meant for top management recruitment due to certain confidentiality of the position. 

Executive Search is rarely done for junior level position although there are a few firms specialized in junior level assignments. Ok, here's the thing. My current organization supposedly specialized in senior/top level management positions. We have a different unit that is specialized in junior positions. But now, as we speak, I'm working on a junior level positions. I must say it's a tough assignment and not to mention ridiculous.

Why is it tough and ridiculous?

Being a recruiter, our main method of getting candidates is through cold calling . It could be tricky because you can't expose yourself until you speak to the right person and the art of manipulating is very much needed at this point. For example, when you asked for the junior accountant they will transfer you to the Finance Manager or sometimes to the CFO's secretary. 

Do you see the pattern now? It's very easy to get the name of the Manager or CFO but not the accountant. Imagine if I have to find an engineer in a manufacturing company.

This is why working on a junior position is a much more trickier than a senior position. 

Based on my discussion with my colleague who shared the same sentiment as mine, we concluded a few more points why assignments on junior position is a bit tough.

1) Let say we managed to get the name and speak to the potential candidate. They sent their updated resume and it's time to meet face to face for further discussion. To arrange for the appointment could be very   challenging as most of them would prefer to meet after work because they can't take leave. Or if need to take leave, we have to tell them a few days in advance because of the company policy. This based on our own experience.

2) They don't understand what executive search is. Well, can you blame them when they never been exposed to this practice before? You have to explain to them how does it work and they need a little bit of assurance on our side. My colleague was laughing when one of the candidates asked a rather naive question. I told him off. I said, "they are not sure about how does this work and of course if they are not sure they need to ask. You can't expect them to know everything"

"But the clause is very straightforward"

"Yeah, but could be confusing too"

3) They thought we are selling them products or maybe promoting MLM. Most of the immediate feedback that we get is "I am not interested". 

As much as I enjoy being in this line, working on a this kind of assignment can be frustrating. 

Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment