Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#37 - Job Application 101

As a recruiter, I am always exposed to many kind of personalities and resumes. Trust me, reading resumes can be a source of entertainment.

Don't get me wrong. As much as I appreciate good resumes, there are still people who are taking resume for granted. No matter how good you are in your work but if you don't translate everything into your resume, people won't notice you.

So, make you sure you really put an effort to produce a good resume.

But then again. Good resume must also come with good attitude. Here's some tips/do's/don'ts:

1) If you are sitting in front of your boss or a very nosy colleague, do let us know that it's not convenient to talk. Or maybe you are in a train or in a public place, let us know! Suggest a good time for us to call you back. It's ok. We won't strike off your name from our list. There are a few incidents that we have to shout because the candidates cannot hear and still insisting to continue the conversation. Do you want the whole wide world to know how much you are earning?

2) Let me tell you one thing. If you are approached by a recruiter or a headhunter, do not be afraid. You don't have to pay them anything to have a discussion with them. In fact, they are giving you the opportunity for a career growth. They are not selling you products or services. So, don't be afraid or be very annoyed. If you are not looking out, tell them so. If you are rude, there's a possibility that we won't consider you in the future at all. Regardless how good you are.

3) When you applied for a position, make sure you read through the job description. Know your strength, skills and qualification. If you are a Civil Engineering graduate, do not apply for a Pharmaceutical position. Don't laugh. It happened. Really makes us want to strangle somebody.

Regardless to many interesting personalities, I do find joy in my work. My friends keep coming back to me and ask for tips or any HR matters. Makes me feel important. Glad I could help them and to you who happen to read my blog.

Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment