Monday, December 12, 2011

#17 - Ombak Rindu The Review

So I went to see Ombak Rindu last weekend. Stop reading if you haven't watch and planning to catch the movie. It's going to be a hardcore (or lack of it) review.

This movie might be good to someone who haven't read the prior to the movie. Unfortunately, I've read the book so many times that I know everything by heart.

At first, I was contemplating of watching the movie. I'm afraid it's going to be something like Lagenda Budak Setan The Movie. That, ladies and gentlemen, was a total disappointment. But, I gave Ombak Rindu a try anyways. Giving the benefit of the doubt.

Here goes the review:

1) Casting
I'm sorry the whole casting was a total failure. Well at least to me. Initially I thought Aaron Aziz would be suitable to play Haris but I don't know. I just don't feel it. He was trying very hard to be sad and sooo in love with Izzah but he failed. My interpretation of Haris; very successful businessman, hot tempered but very loving. Arrogant but inhuman. And Aaron didn't portray all that.

Maya Karin as Izzah - I disagree with this since DAY ONE. Physically, Maya did not suit Izzah. Izzah nie ayu gadis melayu. Tak berwajah moden. Satu lagi, Izzah adalah budak lepasan sekolah yang berhajat untuk menyambung pelajaran ke peringkat lebih tinggi (diploma/ijazah). Jadi, boleh tak pilih seseorang yang lebih muda. I'm thinking someone like Tiz Zaqyah. Or maybe someone new.

Lisa Surihani as Mila - At first I thought it would be ok but I guess we need someone mature to be Mila as someone who grew up with Haris. Lisa looked too young for Aaron. On the acting part, I think Lisa is ok but sometimes she was overdoing it.

Azizah Mahzan as Datuk Sufiah - Azizah Mahzan did not nail this character. To me, Datuk Sufiah was very authoritative. People respected her so much that they don't make stupid jokes. Azizah is more concerned in calling Haris name with fake English accent.

I'm not going to go through the characters one by one. These 4 would be sufficient.

2) Plot.
- They changed some of the facts. For example, Izzah's aunt did not suffer from any cancer. She was as evil as the uncle. Wafiah was not Mila and Haris's childhood friend. Mail didn't get any job offer in KL, he was in the army. Izzah was not a religious teacher but she worked at a factory.

- There were not enough sufferings for me to feel sad for Izzah. Period.

3) Key point
- One of the things that make Haris fell in love with Izzah is because of her naivety. Satu lagi, cara Izzah menyedarkan Haris tentang solat. To me, that is crucial. I don't understand why the Director does not want to highlight this.

- Continuity memang sangat out.

Ok these are some of the things that I don't really like about Ombak Rindu. There's more but I'll keep it to myself lah. Nanti orang kata emo tak tentu pasal.

So I learned my lesson. No more watching movie based on novel. Especially Malay novel. It has been disappointing so far.

Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment